What to do
Roast the beetroot (for 1 hours)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees gas mark 6.
2. Prick the beetroot a few times then wrap them in foil.
3. Roast in oven for 45 mins to 1 hour until just cooked through and then remove skin
Marinate the beetroot ( for at least 3 hours but can be overnight):
4. Slice the beetroots into slices about 1 cm thick, light coat in olive oil.
5. Toss together with the mustard, caper berries, fennel seeds, smoked paprika and a
pinch of salt.
6. Place in airtight container and allow to marinate for at least 3 hours
Make the mushroom-less Duxelle:
7. Heat coconut oil in skillet. Add shallots and garlic and cook over medium heat unit
soft, stirring to make sure the garlic doesn't burn about 7-9 mins.
8. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for another couple of mins or until the
pecans have softened slightly and adjust seasoning to taste.
Assemble the Wellington ( refrigerate for 30mins - 2 hours or overnight prior to 45min-1 hr
9. Roll out the puff pastry to a rectangle don't roll too thinly.
10. Spread 1/2 the Duxelle mixture onto the pastry in an even layer leaving a couple of
inches around the edges.
11. Remove the beetroot slices from the marinade brushing off any excess. Place the
beetroot slices on top of the Duxelle mixture in 1 to 2 layers.
12. Top with the remaining Duxelle mixture.
13. Fold the long sides of the puff pastry over the centre of the mixture, then fold the short
sides over that use moistened finger to seal. Try not to overlap too much as it will
make the pastry too thick.
14. Gently transfer the beet wellington to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Whisk together the oil and the non dairy milk till it emulsifies and brush all over
15. Refrigerate the folded beet wellington for at least 30 min to 2 hours
16. Heat the oven to 375 gas mark 5 and bake the beet wellington to 45 to 60 mins, until
pasty is golden brown on the outside and firm to press.
17. Warm the coconut oil in a small pan, add the minced garlic and cook until slightly
softened about 3 mins
18. Add the red wine and vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a boil. reduce to a fast
simmer and cook for about 10 -15 mins or until reduced by 1/2
19. Stir in the sugar and the cornstarch slurry, reduce to a gentle simmer and cook for
about 5 mins or until thickened and shiny. Add salt and pepper to taste
The beetroot and the Duxelle can be made up to 2 days in advance